View Single Post
Old 09-18-2010, 06:09 PM   #6
Jcar

I didn't like the first Fallout much. It just felt like "Oblivion: Lite" to me. I don't understand why everyone raved about it as it was basically just an Oblivion mod.

Oblivion was brilliant. I don't think it had as strong of a story as Fallout, but nonetheless the world was better constructed (the fallout world was kind of limited by its post-apocalyptic setting--so all of the areas of the world, no matter where, basically looked the same, whereas Oblivion had more variety), the map and inventory system was better set up (which probably stems from the fact that Oblivion seemed to be designed for PCs, while Fallout seemed to be designed for systems), and it was just generally better.

Maybe it's just because I bought the Game of the Year edition of Fallout, though. I played one of the DLC's (the alien one) before finishing the main campaign, and my character ended up being seriously over-powered from the start as a consequence (because of the alien weaponry). So the main quest, and the game in general, ended up being a bit of a snooze--even on the hardest difficulty.

Ah well. Maybe the Vegas one will be better. I just hope they set up the inventory and map system differently, so you don't have to get to all of them by way of your wristband, but instead can push hot keys that will take you directly to them.