View Single Post
Old 09-18-2010, 07:39 AM   #5
Lupin The Third

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
I WANT!

But yet, why does everything looks so grey. It's like the typical playstation trademark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post
It's Team Ico style i guess. Their games are all grey with washed out colours. The Last Guardian will be the same.

ICO is really a great game, with a lot of heart, Shadow of the Colossus is ok, but those controls were atrocious and its repetitive as hell.
Actually I noticed this back with the PS2 era of games. I'm not trying to pick on Sony or their hardware here (so fanbots calm down) but the use of subdued colors (greys, blacks, browns, etc) is a great camouflage for mediocre rendering. Look at most of the big PS2 titles of the era....Socom, MGS, Ico/Shadow, etc. While it's easy to claim that the subdued, muted color palettes of such games were stylistic choices it's very apparent when compared with other consoles of the time that this was a method that devs used to cover up mediocre rendering. Gamecube or Dreamcast games by contrast were typically much more vibrant and visually appealing. The PS2 obviously couldn't match the rendering capabilities of the Gamecube or Xbox 1 and even most quality DC titles looked better and offered a better color palette and rendered images (compare Soul Calibur on DC to SC 2/3 on PS2 for example). As a result many developers seemed to have chosen these more muted palettes to give their games a more pleasing aesthetic. It worked really well and if you think back over the PS2 library you'll see what I mean.

All that aside this is awesome news. I had a PS3 (for all of a day...) and I haven't really seen much reason to jump back in. The Ico/Shadow HD version along with Last Guardian do make me much more interested in the platform.