View Single Post
Old 09-10-2010, 09:56 AM   #55
seagul

Join in, it is an extraodinary game you shouldn't miss!

Finally, i survived chapter 2, even if i had to be resurrected a few times at the pumpkin patch.
It took me a few trials to understand that I had to KILL the ravens!
Wasn’t it creepy how Max kind of melted into the ground to be resurrected again?
Creepy and unsettling – that’s what this chapter was to me.
It was all about children and how to save them. Mother tried to save them – but appearently took the wrong direction.
Max tried to save them – but did he succeed? After the destruction of mother, the town was empty. The last child, Mary, waged her strange tail (or was it a root?) while Max went into the light.
What about the light? Who is Sarah (mentioned by Max’s mother? Why the pumpkins? Is the car in the rocks Max’s car? What is the angel? So many questions we can discuss now.
My most pressing question is: was this chapter about the aggression in families – in Max’s family?
We have mother, who takes care of the children, after she experiences their pain and sees one of them, Carol, dying. She wants to help them by separating them from their parents (as she comprehends it: the aggressor) and transforming them into something different (as she comprehends it: something better).
Mother is the meteor that came from outer space. Children of abused family often can’t get help in the family. They need help from outside, from someone strange to the family. The reverend described mother/the comet as a heavenly anger: this she really was.
The best way not to get beaten is to be “invisible”. So is it really a game these children are playing? And why is it so important to win it by using a secret weapon?
And what about being transformed into a plant: abused children often get very passive, quiet and resile – like plants. It is an active strategy to survive for children.
The abhorrent transformation of the children can even seen in connection with sexual abuse: it is a common strategy of children to save themselves from further assaults by making themselves ugly and unwanted.
So “mother” was a surviving technique of the children. But after the situation changed, the abuse being over, mother became a danger herself. And had to be destroyed if a normal live should be resurrected.
Why did I never see all this in my past two times I played this game? It was a very intense experience.
This is the third time I play Sanatorium and, due to my bad memory, I have no clue what will happen and how all this will end. What a blessing!