View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #6
Enter the Story
I turn novels into games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno_Malta View Post
Nice to hear from the creator himself and sad to say that i just saw A Tale for Download on a torrent site!
Are you sure it isn't the matching game with the same name? It seems like there's a hidden object or matching game for every famous story ever written.* But if it is my game you saw, that's great news! I agree with Cory Doctorow on this: my biggest problem is not piracy, it's obscurity. If people care enough to pirate my games then that's a very good sign.

As for lost sales, my games are aimed at thoughtful people, the kind who like classic novels. Thoughtful people tend to be honest. That's a better guarantee than all the DRM and take-down notices in the world.

Plus I've priced the games low - four full length games for $14.99 total - so if anyone genuinely cannot afford it then that is pretty sad. If someone is genuinely that poor then they have my blessing to find a pirate copy and I hope their finances improve. Being poor sucks.

*EDIT: Most games that claim to be based on novels are just old games with different graphics. It's the same with games based on movies - they're usually just platform or shooting games with different sprites. Which is a bit disappointing! When I buy a story based game then I want that unique story, and everything should flow from the book. I don't want just an old game with superficial rebranding. That's why I started making these games. I hope I'm not unusual!

Last edited by Enter the Story; 09-03-2010 at 10:44 AM.