View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 06:47 AM   #32
cbman

Sorry if i'm labouring a point but a question for those who criticize the voice acting for not sounding 'authentic' (by which I presume they mean naturalistic): would you make the same criticism if you went to see a performance of Shakespeare? Or indeed in one of those period dramas where the characters all talk ever so properly and in that strange stilted manner employed in such things. The realism there is zero but it gets accepted because its accepted as the style for that type of drama.

Also, let's be fair: this game has thousands of lines of dialogue. I doubt any game anywhere has this much dialogue and doesn't occasioanly hit a duff or inconsistent line.

Graphically I think the game still holds up. Obviously, the resolution is low by modern standards but aesthetically I still find it pleasing on the eye. And its generally true to the say that the more advanced the graphics appeared to be in a game at the time the more quickly they will date. A game like this ages far better than say, the awful 3D animations in Gabriel Knight 3.

Regarding the story: I think that aiming for too literal an interpretation of any of the events in a game like this would be a little bit diagnosis: crazy but rest assured, for better or worse, there will be clarity come the end of the game.