View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 06:29 AM   #21
stepurhan
Freeware Co-ordinator

Finally got round to taking notes from the first section.

Firstly, the opening cinematic. Note that we only get to see the main character's legs and not his face (which is covered by bandages by the time we get to see it) The trousers look like the same colour as the ones he's wearing in the tower cells. The video in the control centre indicates he stole a car and raced off believing he was doing something important. That fits together with his excited phone call (we have no indication he actually spoke to anyone so that could easily be part of a delusion). There's also the vaguely overheard comment from an attendant about his car being stolen just before you get control. It would appear we're a dangerous nutter alright. One that sees statues come alive, talk to him and transport him to other places as well.

Whilst maybe not ideal, I got used to the movement system over time. However, there was one thing about it that bugged me. The character walks up and down stairs on their own if you clip one end of them. Not so much a problem here but drove me mad on a later level. I wonder if the perspective and the fact there are a lot of rough edges (which would make automated parth-finding difficult) is what led them to choose this method.

I like the voicework overall. At this stage the main character is in a state of shock (he's woken up heavily bandaged and with no memory after all) so his slightly vague sound and dispassionate approach to the wall-butter fitted that state for me. It will be interesting to see if that continues to be a concern for others as the game progresses. The other voices I thought were good, especially the very convincing stutter.

I also like the background animation. The other inmates (including chicken man on the lower floors). The water streaming through the grate at the back. The rats that run around near the furnace. These make it all the more horrible but bring it to life as well.

One other point on the head-bashing noise. It gets louder the closer you get to him and fades if you get a long-distance away. (so noises are as the PC hears them) A minor thing perhaps but it's these little details that make a difference.

I thnk the word Jelena was looking for is "foreshadowing". There is a ton of foreshadowing in this scene. Here's the things I noticed (in spoilers for obvious reasons). Anyone see any others? (please also use spoilers for those playing for the first time)

EXTREME SPOILERS. DO NOT READ IF PLAYING FOR FIRST TIME. I WILL REFERENCE BACK WHEN THESE BECOME RELEVANT.

Spoiler:
The stained glass shows children (on right). pumpkins, and a meteor (both on left). These are clear references to chapter 2. Also referring to chapter 2 is most of the conversation with Lenny (in cell on right). He refers to pumpkin pie, the patch, Mother and everyone going to school (which is where you'll find them in that chapter)

Martin (near Lenny) refers to robotic insects intent on destroying the world and that he'll find their hive one day. These are all references to chapter 6. The exploding furnace next to Martin could also be a reference to this.

Conversing with Danny (on the left) brings all sorts of references to the Aztec village in chapter 8. He mentions fallen temples and warrior spirits seeking vengeance and describes the tower as the village. The key is also Aztec, which is a reference to this, and the "key" to the discovery that led to this whole situation.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree