View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 04:34 PM   #50
Jackal
Hopeful skeptic

For the record, AG hasn't posted anything in the news section because there's nothing resembling news so far. Only a lot of speculation, hearsay, wishful thinking, and fan hype of an incredibly dubious proposal even if it is legitimate.

If we were to post anything, it would indeed first require verifying all the information independently, as only then would we have anything remotely factual to report. And frankly, our manpower is stretched thinner than the amount of work there is to do already, let alone going on potentially wild goose chases.

Having said that, even if I had time, I still wouldn't. Even if I knew for sure, I wouldn't. If Keith Arem himself had approached me and asked for the site's support in promoting it, I'd have said no. I'd have tried to put him in touch with existing adventure publishers like I've done with other developers seeking support for their projects. Maybe people don't realize it, but in this genre, that happens all the time. The vast majority of games are at least partially independent projects only picked up late and distributed by publishers, not fully financed through production. Any of those studios could pull a stunt like this. The reason they don't is that it's bush league. An online petition isn't going to convince any self-respecting publisher, and trying to solicit funds either directly OR indirectly through public channels is ridiculous. The quality of the game, an actual production plan, and at least some evidence of commitment to the project are the only things that'll do that. If there's as much near-finished material as some of these rumours claim, that should be an easy pitch.

I'm personally willing to believe (hypothetically) that the sources are true and Arem really does have an honest desire to release the game and has at least some of the resources to do it. This just isn't the way to do business. And reporting stuff just because it's circulating the internet isn't the way for AG to do business. There may indeed be a story buried somewhere under all the hype, but until someone invents the 30-hour day, we need to prioritize somewhere, and this is one of those places.