View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
AFGNCAAP
Dungeon Master

Default AG Community Playthrough #14: Sanitarium

After the mysterious car crash, our at-first-unnamed hero wakes up in the eponymous freaky asylum. At least, so it begins, because Sanitarium will soon be juggling its stories and moods in a way that will confuse, annoy or make you fall in love with it -- sometimes all at once -- but that also makes it one of the most unusual in the history of adventure games, and a must-play classic.

And what better way to play it than with your fellow AGers?

What we do
We play the game, together, one chunk at a time. Then we talk about it here. It's a way to get a bit of community into our gameplaying, and also take a closer look at the games. You can search for the previous playthroughs to see how it goes.

How to participate
  1. Get the game if you don't own it yet. The easiest way is buying a digital copy at GOG, but you can also hunt down one of the (usually more pricey) boxed copies available online.
  2. Install and set up the game. Keep in mind that apart from the original release, there's been a XS Games rerelease (GOG uses that version, too) which should be more compatible with Windows XP. However, players have been known to have troubles with all the versions, so if you run into any problems, ask here or use the Technical Forum.
  3. Play!
  4. Stop at the breakpoint (and save!). I'll make a post when it's time to move on to the next chunk.
  5. Post your impressions, thoughts and comments in this thread. If you wish to comment on something that relates to parts of the game further than the current chunk, use spoiler tags, so as to not spoil the fun for the first-time players.

If anything needs further clarification, ask here or shoot me a Private Message. And with all that out of the way, I welcome you to the twisted world of...

Chapter 1: The Tower Cell

Where are we? Who are all those people (us included)? What, if anything, does any of this mean? Speculate away. Also: ask, explain, bring to our attention, reminisce, praise and criticise.

Stop playing as soon as Chapter 2, "The Innocent Abandoned", starts. I propose that we move to the next section on Sunday, September 5th. While it's a very short section to play for a week, I want to give people some time for buying the game, finding it in the attic, installing etc., and also solve any technical difficulties they might have. Not to mention, give the latecomers more chance to catch up, and the host (that's me!) more time to plan the deadlines ahead in a sensible way.