Thread: Some questions.
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2010, 11:28 AM   #6
Trumgottist
Game Creator Hobbyist

I guess I should mention SLUDGE (which is the engine I use) since you mentioned Mac. The biggest advantage of SLUDGE is that it's cross-platform. Its games run on both Mac, Windows and Linux, and the development kit runs on Mac and Windows. It's probably not as easy to use as AGS though, as it's completely script-based, and it doesn't have the huge user-base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakewalker View Post
The thing is I know i will have to extend these engines in at some point in one way or another.
That depends on if you plan to do something really unusual. I know SLUDGE to be flexible enough to do almost anything you'd think of for a point and click adventure game, and I believe the same is true for AGS and Wintermute too. (Should you really need to extend the engine, SLUDGE is open source, so in theory you can add any feature you want. In practice, if you want to do something SLUDGE is incapable of, you're probably better off using a general engine rather than an adventure game specific one. I've heard good things about Unity.)

And one more engine that hasn't yet been mentioned (probably because it hasn't yet proved itself) is Dage. A 3d engine for adventure games. If you're considering 3d, Dage and Unity is what I'd look at.