Thread: Three Questions
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 03:18 AM   #3306
MoriartyL
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
1) What's the first thing you remember ever posting to or commenting about on the internet?
2) Who is (was?) your oldest internet friend?
3) How many of your internet friends have you met in real life?
  1. I made a web site for my family when I was in fifth grade. That would have been 1998, I guess. It probably wasn't the first time I'd put things on the internet, but it's the earliest I can remember. It had lots of "Under Construction" and "Stuff will be here soon" pages, plus flashy Javascript effects and (going completely overboard) DHTML which made the text fly around the screen when you start it. There was absolutely no point to this site. Sadly, it doesn't seem to still be on the internet.
  2. I'm not sure I've ever had any "internet friends" other than Squinky. I've always preferred the self-indulgent, anything-goes aspect of the internet to the oversized-neighborhood way of seeing it. So for instance, my blog has gotten crazier and crazier over the years, but there's less and less room in it for commenting. That's just how I am- Facebook and similar purely-social sites intimidate me. So when I do interact with people on the internet, I'm not looking to make friends so much as I'm looking to argue. And whenever the argument is over, my... wait, you know what, there's one other guy who's sort of a friend, but not really. I just sent a few private messages to him on another forum, and we followed each other's blogs after that. I don't know, is that a "friend"? Or a "mutual reader" or something like that? He stopped writing his blog, so I don't know what he's doing now. So if you count him he's the first. If not, then Deirdra.
  3. Okay, so if I count all my internet friends, there are three. I don't think there was ever a fourth. The third one is more like a real friend- it's the guy in Canada who does the art for my games, who I met through my blog. So, not a tremendous number of friends from the 15 years I've been using the internet regularly. So it's understandable that I've never met any of them in person. Two live in Canada (on opposite sides, from what I understand), and one wanders around Europe. I've often wondered what it would be like to actually meet the people I argue with on the internet, but it's never happened.

===============================================

1. Do you enjoy arguing?
  2. How much of your internet activity would you classify as "social"?
  3. Let's say you had no internet access at all for a month. How would this bother you?