Thread: Three Questions
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010, 05:52 AM   #3302
MoriartyL
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
1. What, for you, makes the difference between loving someone and merely liking them?
2. Do you ever find yourself threatened by people you perceive as more popular/conventionally beautiful/socially accepted than you are, even if they've never done anything to hurt you personally?
3. Are there any works of fiction that you love, but have no problem admitting are flawed in some way?
  1. Ask me again once I've loved someone. At this point, it would just be a guess.
  2. Absolutely. All the time. Except for the conventionally-beautiful part, that seems overrated.
  3. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is my favorite game, and I will gleefully point out all the ways in which it's flawed. Not everyone would consider it a "work of fiction", though. So maybe a better example would be science-fiction TV shows. The current Doctor Who might be the only sci-fi show I've ever seen that doesn't have huge flaws. Babylon 5 has terrible acting, Battlestar Galactica has a terrible plot, Star Trek: Voyager has lots of dull characters, Lost never had a plan, but I love all these shows. I'd recommend them to anyone, but with disclaimers. Ooh, and I also love the original Flash Gordon serials, and that's 100% flaws.

================================================== ===

1. Name a great story with uninteresting characters.
  2. Name a great story with an uninteresting plot.
  3. Name a great story with what seems like a bad premise.