View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010, 02:14 AM   #35
Little Writer

I'd go with "Silent Hill 2" as well. While it's strictly speaking in the survival horror genre, it can be played as an adventure game as well. I even has settings for each new game where you can put combat low and puzzles high (though how exactly that difficulty level for the puzzles is changed, I have no idea).

I've always found that old "Alone in the Dark" game scary. Roaming that empty mansion with werewolves and zombies suddenly appearing all over the place ...

I don't like "shock" scary. That's just a cheap technique relying on sensory overload, and some people are just more sensitive to that than others. Nothing more than the old "ha! made you flinch!" teasing game. Reallly scary always has to be atmospheric to me. The Gabriel Knight games indeed come close, and that old X-Files game captured the show's style pretty good.

When it comes to games not that old, I wouldn't know. Most atmospherically scary games I'm seeing mentioned here seem to be first person puzzlers, which I don't like. I'd vote for "Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy", at least until the game turns all Matrixy sci-fi. And of course "Overclocked" is a good attempt.

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13

Last edited by Little Writer; 08-05-2010 at 02:21 AM.