Thread: Three Questions
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 09:49 AM   #3296
Lee in Limbo
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
1. If you had to fight in any war in history, and if you were guaranteed not to get hurt, which war would it be?
2. If you could completely replace English with any other language, living or dead, which one would it be?
3. If you had the opportunity to punch one person in the face, living or dead, without any consequences, who would it be?
1. I won't lie; I have absolutely no interest in fighting any war. That said, I think I'm historically most interested in the first and second world wars, and the Crusades. I wouldn't fight in them, but I'd slip through as an impartial observer, perhaps saving the occasional life if I could figure out how without screwing up history.
2. Simlish!
3. You know, try as I might, I can't think of anyone I want to punch in the face, though I was pretty close to the breaking point with Jashim a few months ago. I'm over it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
1. How does Heaven fit in the theory of evolution?
2. What physical characteristics must an organism have in order to be eligible for going to Heaven?
3. Why didn't Darwin come up with these questions?
1. Whose heaven are we talking about here? Mine has plenty of room for the Theory of Evolution.
2. One suspects that the afterlife requires that you have had a corporeal form of one sort or another, and that you were essentially mortal in that form.
3. Didn't he? I don't know. I never actively studied the writings of Darwin. He probably mused over those problems as well. He's just not known for them the way he is for the whole primitive ancestry thing. Personally, I've never had a problem reconciling spirituality and science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
1. How does hell fit into the theory of evolution?
2. What physical characteristics must an organism have in order to be eligible for going to hell?
3. If all your friends were going to hell, would you want to go there too?
1. I tend to think that hell is nonsense. The notion that spiritual failure leads to eternal damnation sounds like some overbearing parental bullshit story designed to keep the plebes in line. I'm far more inclined to believe that we reincarnate, and that this corporeal existence is as close as we get to true damnation. Screw up and you have to come back and endure this crap again and again. It's like Groundhog Day on a lifelong cycle. That's hell enough for me.
2. Apparently, genitalia. Personally, I think the most likely organ is the brain. Give a monkey a brain and everything gets complicated.
3. If all of my friends were on their way to hell, I'm quite sure I'd be at the front of the line, because I'm easily the most heretical of the pack.

1) Have you ever wondered if this is as good as it gets?
2) Have you ever hoped this is as bad as it will ever get?
3) Have you ever wanted to stop being who you are for five minutes, so you could do everything you wouldn't dare do as yourself, and thus set yourself up in such a way that you could live more happily after the five minutes are up?