Old 07-23-2010, 11:11 AM   #3287
Squinky
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
  1. Do you like poetry?
  2. Why?
  3. Which do you prefer- goofy poetry or serious poetry?
1. I like some of it, yes. Generally, I prefer writing it than reading it.
2. It's a fun intellectual exercise to have to figure out where all the words need to go, sometimes more so than writing prose, because you have to distill it.
3. Sarcastic poetry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
1. Why are you important for humanity?
2. Name something you think everyone should do for humanity.
3. Why have you/haven't you done that?
1. I don't think I'm particularly important to humanity. There are individuals and groups of humans who appear to enjoy my company and appreciate what I have to offer, sure, but in the grand scheme of things, I don't see myself as particularly significant or irreplaceable, as much as my egotistical side would love that to be the case. I believe importance in a global sense needs to be earned, and that can't really be measured until I'm long gone from this world.
2. I agree with Mory: cultivate your uniqueness, which really means being the best version of yourself you can be instead of a mediocre version of someone else. I will also add: don't be a jerk.
3. Like Mory, I had trouble fitting in as a little kid, so it was very easy to adopt an identity as an outsider and consequently, reject a handful of norms that many people take for granted. I'm working on the not being a jerk part, but what has helped me in that regard is learning about the areas in which I have privileges and the areas in which I don't, and realising that other people's privileges and lack thereof are different from mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
  1. In parenting, where should the balance be between making children better people, and making children happy?
  2. If you had been made more constantly happy as a child, how would you be different today?
  3. Imagine that a perfect clone of you were raised in an entirely different environment, by totally different people. What character traits would you definitely share with that person?
1. Who says those two things have to be diametric opposites? Of course you shouldn't spoil your kids, but you shouldn't abuse them in the name of making them "better" either. I think the best parents love their children unconditionally, but also help them become more resilient by making them aware of injustice that already exists in the world, which they're going to have to experience eventually.
2. That would probably mean less bullying in school, I suppose. I would have had less of an understanding of what it meant to be different and spent more time as a spoiled brat, but I'd like to think that because of who I am, I would have figured it out eventually, just more slowly. I'm used to being a late bloomer in many respects, anyway. *shrugs*
3. Introversion, creativity, curiosity, hypersensitivity. Maybe social awkwardness and corresponding low self esteem.

---

1. You meet an attractive person of your preferred gender who's so much like you in so many respects, and understands you better than anyone else you've ever known ever has. You fall deeply and passionately in love. Then, you discover that you're siblings separated at birth. What do you do?
2. Did/do you enjoy being a student? If so, what made it enjoyable? If not, what could have made it enjoyable for you?
3. What, in your opinion, is the most effective way of disciplining a child?