View Single Post
Old 07-10-2010, 08:07 AM   #35
imisssunwell

This is quite interesting but a little off-topic, maybe a mod could move this to a new topic like "comparing adventures to RPGs".

Anyhow, my take is this, roughly speaking RPGs can be divided in Hack & Slash, like Diablo, Dungeon Siege, Icewind Dale, and more heavy on RP elements (e.g. Planescape, Dragon Age, Baldur's Gate ect). Of course there are many games somewhere between those categories.

Hack & slash games are usually lighter on story elements and don't share much with AGs.

Some of the RPGs with heavy RP elements, do have allot in common with AGs and in fact I'd like to see AGs, borrowing elements from them. Some of these games, like Planescape and the older Fallouts don't even require combat for their completion, or if they do it's very little.

Quote:
the characters are predetermined
Planescape gave us the nameless one, who was like a tabula rasa, instead of pre-fixing things. Planescape could have been an adventure if it was made without combat -which I'm not sure is needed for completing the game-. Of course people still cite torment even today for it's deep roleplaying but couldn't AGs be made in this fashion? I think yes and I'd be interested to see some developer doing it.