View Single Post
Old 07-10-2010, 03:59 AM   #32
Roper Klacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries323 View Post
When we play adventure games, is we not playing our story? then. I also figured we did, but that must just have been me, I'd guess?

Nearly every adventure game (modern at least) have a voiced over character and I've always felt that I was playing, assuming the role of say Sherlock Holmes or Kate Walker.

Also, the whole point about playing our character, I don't seem to get. We're playing a role, as in a character that is not us, even when the main character in an rpg like Baldur's Gate was not voiced e.g. didn't have voice over. The story is not about me in a strange land, it is about my character i.e. the character I'm playing in the game. And like in a play, this character may perform acts, I, as myself, would never do, in real life.
The point of an RPG is for the player to... role play, for the player to imagine himselft as that character in that world and play the game based in our decisions.

That obviously doesn't happen on adventure games, the characters are predetermined and we can't change his/her personality. In most cases the protagonist talks to the player, is more like a journey of two, player and character.