View Single Post
Old 07-09-2010, 12:06 PM   #29
imisssunwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk View Post
The mass effect series is overwhelmingly marketed with a male Shepard but the female Shepard voice artist is unarguably the better of the two and all kinds of awesome.

I don't mind them semi rolling a pre-made character to facilitate fully voiced lines. Conversations really do flow better, but its not without its drawbacks. Just try playing a back guy with Mark Meer's voice in ME2 (awful).

Its surprising just how much more punch NPC dialogue has when your character's name (ie:Shepard) is spoken. And how bloody awkward dialogue can sound when NPCs cannot say your characters name (Dragon Age banter is rife with this).

Side note: Jade Empire was marketed almost exclusively with the female protagonist Wu the Lotus Blossom, on the cover and all. Still no sequel for that...
ok, after Dale's reply on the plot DA plot thing and the re-assurance that in ME2 a female character also works well, it makes sense to have female voiceovers. My prejudice was based mainly on kotor, where

Spoiler:
A female Revan seemed to be unfit in several occasions, including totally missing the romance with Bastila. Carth romance was inferior imo.

Last edited by imisssunwell; 07-09-2010 at 12:12 PM.