View Single Post
Old 07-09-2010, 05:36 AM   #3884
DustyShinigami
The Quiet One

Dead Space: Downfall

The prequel to the hit game Dead Space.

The animated movie wasn't anything particularly special. It does show how and what happens to some of the characters and situations that weren't explained/shown in the game. Apart from that, there's not really much of a story and it's full of typical sci-fi/horror cliches. The characters aren't interesting nor likeable (especially the main character - I didn't care either way what would happen to her in the end) and are the stereotypical 'bad-ass' marines who get picked off one by one.

Animation felt a bit choppy and the lip-syncing was off too.

Although the game took inspiration from classics such as Aliens and The Thing, this movie felt like a complete rip-off. At least the game had the entertaining gameplay in its favour and much more suspense.

I had considered watching this around the time it came out; now I have. But it's not one I'll be buying on DVD or rewatching. I'm glad I watched it online instead.

The only plus point (to me, at least) is that it's nice and juicy - very violent and gorey.

One thing I did smirk at and guessed correctly was a voice actor who sounded very familiar. It was none other than Jim Cummings - the voice of the Desk Sergeant Frick from Gabriel Knight 1. It looks like he's been keeping himself quite busy doing voice overs in cartoon series and video games.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour