Thread: Three Questions
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2010, 09:29 PM   #3238
Squinky
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
I've got some relatives coming soon who I can't stand. Every time I talk to them, it turns into an argument. We can't see eye-to-eye on any subject. Do you think I should try to avoid them, or should I just go with the arguments?
First of all, do you enjoy arguing? If so, then argue to your heart's content until you (or they) stop enjoying it. If not, ask yourself whether it's mostly you or them who's doing the provoking. If it's you, then just stop saying anything and let them hold their own opinions, misguided though they may be, comforting yourself with the fact that they'll be gone soon enough. If they're the ones picking a fight, then practise a bit of mental jiu-jitsu and turn their arguments back upon themselves; it's probably the most effective way to get them off your back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
1) Do you prefer photographic images to handmade art images?
2) Do you prefer abstracted or impressionistic art images to realistic ones?
3) Do you prefer serious drawing styles to cartoonish ones?
1. Not a fan of photography unless there's some artistic element to it; I'd rather see the real thing. And I'm generally more of a fan of handmade things.
2. I skew heavily towards the abstract.
3. Mostly cartoons (that's what I draw, after all) but it really depends on the artist. One thing I really enjoy is blending serious subject matter with cartoonish art, or the opposite.

---

1. What do you think of the serial comma? (e.g. "this, this, and this" instead of "this, this and this")
2. Do you think it's possible to be a good writer if you don't have a good grasp of spelling and grammar?
3. Do you prefer languages where there's almost no room for ambiguity because there's a precise word for nearly everything, or languages that can be ambiguous to the point of confusion but have a lot more potential for wordplay?