View Single Post
Old 06-16-2010, 05:51 AM   #6
drunk

I started reading and it is really fascinating!
Probably it is too early to say someting substantial but I would like to tell you a few first thoughts.

First I have to say that I am an academic but not in the field of computers or games and that my mother tongue is not English. So I would like to apologise in advance for possible misunderstandings.

As far as I understand it the story is absolutely necessary but not sufficient for being an adventure game. This is not really new and I completely agree with that (for me this is the main reason for playing these games).
The second point is puzzles. You said puzzle-solving is the way through the story. But it is not just the simple presence of puzzles, the puzzles must be integrated in the story - I love this thought (so to hell with silly mini-games and simple pixel-hunting ).

I know you mentioned many more aspects but I am interested how/if it will be possible to significantly demarcate the adventure games from the other genres, because you can find stories and puzzles also in some shooters or RPGs. Maybe a clear definition of "puzzle" would help...if possible... or something else. I am curious to find out.

By the way, I like the word "gameness".

I think that's everthing for the moment I couldn't hold back. Now I will continue with reading.
(Sorry for the bad English)