View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 12:01 PM   #19
zobraks
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustCropper View Post
Also, I think PC Gamer gave the game 90% which is a very high score for any genre in their publication.
Yeah, (according to Wikipedia) in the US edition of PC Gamer TLJ got 90%, which IS a high mark, but in the British edition (issue 83) it got 79%. I would say it's also very good, even excellent, specially when you know that in the same magazine Liath got 8%, Road to India 10%, Phantasmagoria 12%, The Watchmaker 16%, Dracula: Resurrection 22%, The Mystery of the Druids 23%, Schizm 27%, Amerzone 29%, The Neverhood 29%, The Last Express 58% and so on; on the other side most of the shooters/slaughterhouses from the same period regularly achieved at least 60%.

Here's how (word by word) TLJ was summarized (also by someone writing for PC Gamer) in the book "PC Gamer Presents The Ultimate Guide to PC Games: Instant Guide to a Decade of PC Games", published by Future Publishing in 2003 (on page 244):

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Gamer's writer
The Longest Journey

This f***ing game is f***ing full of f***ing swearing, nudity and faecal bodily functions. Its liberal f***ing minded approach to adventuring is both refreshing and well f***ing polished, making this game not f***ing bad at all. A mix of gorgeous pre-rendered backdrops and decently animated polygonal characters with a strong f***ing storyline and really f***ing tricky puzzles.

No comment needed. I would say a lot of things about TLJ but it never occured to me that it was "full of f***ing swearing, nudity and faecal bodily functions". That all seems to be in the head of the "reviewer".

Last edited by zobraks; 06-09-2010 at 12:13 PM.