View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 03:10 AM   #10
zobraks
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabrak View Post
The reviews I've read are nearly universally glowing, though every once in a while I find one that's fairly negative.
That's why I almost never read the reviews of the game before I play it, and when I do, I read the reviews done by people whose tastes/preferences I know well.

Quote:
I downloaded the demo (seems to be a chapter from the middle, on the boat with the oncoming Chaos Storm), and I have to say I was pretty unimpressed.
And deservedly so, because that part of the game was nothing to write home about.
Quote:
The negative reviews seemed to be fairly on-point regarding sloppy puzzle design, slow conversational pacing, and general aimlessness.
Let me guess: you read that rubbish at "GameSpot" or in "PC Gamer". Boy, those people really HATE adventures. Or reading (thinking?) in general.
It's true that there is a lot of conversation in TLJ, but you can't make an epic tale/engrossing story without a lot of text, can you?
Quote:
I was hoping y'all could provide comparisons of TLJ to two of my favorites from the genre, Monkey Island 2 and Gabriel Knight 1. I think that'll help me peg where this game's at a lot better.
It's hard to compare these three, but let's say that TLJ has an interesting (although different kind of) story like GK 1, and a lot of challenging puzzles as those in MI 2 (maybe not so tough puzzles though).

TLJ is the only game ever I have played the whole night through, after a party and before going to work in the morning (I actually only had a breakfast and went straight to work after playing the whole night long), and that's the best recommendation I can give.

Forget about what people here or anywhere else tell you about TLJ - start playing it.