View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
imisssunwell

It's Starforce, Dreamfall's copy protection, that's why I detest invasive DRM.

Usually you can remove the game DRM after the installation by using a noCD, but the malware Starforce drivers will still remain in your system, which you can later uninstall through the removal tool that's somewhere on the net.

If you don't want this malware in your system I can think of two solutions atm

1) Steam (simplest)
2) Get the 6-CD (not the DVD one!) version of Dreamfall without DRM. You need to do a little research on that, can't recall which publisher did the non-Starforce release (not all CD versions are starforce-free).

According to http://store.steampowered.com/app/6300/, the stem version doesn't contain starforce.

I know it feels shit to pay again for a game you already own but probably the simplest thing to do is buy it off Steam.

A non-mainstream solution is if you have a Mac OS X, or a Linux computer somewhere, install the game with its malware on WINE, then use a noCD. This way no *real* drivers have been installed on your system and Dreamfall apparently runs smoothly through WINE/CrossOver Games. However this is a dreadful way to spend your time imo.

Off-topic: I never buy heavily DRMed products, I either buy the Steam version after I check that it is DRM-free or totally boycott them. People who put malware on their DVDs are not worth any of my money.

Edit: I just saw the "uk" bit in your profile. UK publishers have, unfortunately, starforce on all dreamfall versions that I am aware of and I own two retail PC versions of Dreamfall, both bought in England. -Only game that made me break my DRM boycott, was too good to skip! -

Last edited by imisssunwell; 06-03-2010 at 02:23 PM.