View Single Post
Old 06-01-2010, 05:44 AM   #27
m0ds

LucasArts should comission indies to make their adventure games. They've put off making original adventures for almost 20 years, so when they say "we should get back into it" it makes me think they keep getting asked by office juniors (who probably later leave) why they haven't kept up their tradition.

Sadly they have lost it though. It's nice to get their old games again in multi-pack or whatever, but there are more indies now that I'd be more willing to bet on a great creative point and click.

But the quotes say it themselves, LucasArts won't be making point & clicks, no, they'll be making action adventures like the later Broken Sword.

So it's baited breath for nothing really :/

To me it's like the original Space Invaders team saying, we're coming back, we're making new space invadery type games! To which I'd say - forget it, other people are doing it better than you right now, stick to your day job. I'm surprised people think any new LucasArts adventure is going to be "amazing". There's been no evidence whatsoever that they've been capable of creating a decent point & click for 17 years or so. I'm sure they can get the money together to do it but it's the passion they've been lacking...well, since Full Throttle really :/

I'm semi-excited, but only because it makes me laugh every time I hear "LucasArts is coming back!" like it's the Elvis of the adventure industry. The more they say "we" and stuff does annoy me, it's like they don't recognise all the changes there have been in the company since 95, which makes it feel much more faceless to me.

If they were to say, "We are going to employ some people we trust are great at making original adventure games" then I would be excited. If they said "Hey, we're going to try and get Tim, Ron or Hal to make us another adventure!" I would trust & feel they actually cared about their adventure fan-base. Even if they just admitted they have sucked at contributing to the point & click scene for the last 15 years or so I'd feel sympathetic to any of their new ideas. But not when they say "WE are going to make new adventures". They have dismissed everything that has brought them back round to the oppurtunity to hype up their new motives. Nice info though, thanks for sharing

EDIT. Sorry if I confuse point & click with adventure game in general. I don't think they can do a decent point & click any more but I'm sure they could create quite a good "adventure". Emporers Tomb was one of the last ones I played and really quite liked, but even then, it was action adventure. Not outright adventure/point & click, which is what I fell in love with them for.

Last edited by m0ds; 06-01-2010 at 05:50 AM.