View Single Post
Old 06-01-2010, 04:39 AM   #3
Toops144

There have been countless games in differing genres that have left me disappointed, though in terms of adventure games I would say Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon takes the buscuit.

It was completely unoriginal in its embrace of 3D and it's inclusion of '3D space' within a series that had built a reputation on the point 'n' click premise; an unsuccessful attempt at covering the wolf in sheep's clothing very much in the same way Core Design lost its way with Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness by having created a game that distorted the image for which it was originally known. If I had wanted stealth aspects in a game known for exploration/intelligent discourse and traditional narratives, then I would have gotten Splinter Cell or MGS who do a much better job.

After the amazing BS I&II - much of which was down to the 2D art of the game, here we had a 3D version that failed to capture or 'live up' to its predecessors not only in terms of aesthetics - would you believe that the 2D games were far more beautiful than the 3rd, but in terms of direction.

Sleeping Dragon was a mish-mash of ideas and they never really consolidated what they were attempting to do. It was as if it was rushed out to appease the masses and the over-reliance on 3D movement and 3D graphics meant it was an imposter of the previous two games.

Even the amateur BS 2.5 did a better job and as for BS: The Angel of Death? Well after the first part of the game where you had to escape I just threw it in the bin, for this was not the game series I had grown to love. I didn't want action in an adventure game.

Harsh but fair.