View Single Post
Old 05-29-2010, 08:59 AM   #37
Phaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorge View Post
This game isn't going to be for everyone obviously. God forbid that it trys something different in the genre.

I honestly think that not matter how good a game is, if it doesn't use a point and click interface with 2D backgrounds, many people will dismiss it as a bad game.

My hats off to the devs for taking a chance with this one. I hope the rest of the game lives up to the demo, as I enjoyed it very much.
I don't understand the negativity either, but I'd be grateful if you dropped the "you are stuck in the past" attitude - and I'm asking you to do it as a person who loves 2D graphics and point 'n' click interfaces.

First of all, DW2 isn't necessarily breaking new ground. Did you play (excellent) Penumbra? Of course you did. Both games play like every first person adventure out there, except they abandon the Myst-eque movement which revolves around "jumping" from one pre-determined "point" to the other (in which you can freely look around and interact with objects) in favour of allowing the player to explore the environment as he pleases, thanks to fully 3D visuals. As far as I'm concerned, that's a good thing - don't get me wrong, I love Myst, Black Dahlia, Darkness Within and other 2D first-person adventures and would love them to continue to be made, but they arbitrarily restrict the movement, while 3D doesn't have that limitation. As DW2 proves, talented developers are capable of delivering the level of detail which comes very close to pre-rendered 2D backgrounds, so why not take advantage of that?

In third-person adventures, 3D is a gimmick for the most part that only makes exploration problematic, but here, embracing the third dimension adds to the overall experience.

Secondly, I find it surprising that you are arguing that DW2 (or Penumbra) doesn't feature a point-and-click interface, even though it obviously does. The only difference is that said interface isn't used for movement anymore, which isn't a big deal, it actually makes sense to take advantage of keyboard controls in a first-person game.

Last edited by Phaid; 05-30-2010 at 02:16 AM.