View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 10:07 AM   #18
Ascovel
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Oooh... this is difficult to do properly. So many game playing experiences embedded in my head. Well, let's try...

Indiana Jones & Fate of Atlantis - the first adventure game I ever played and truly one of the best out there - a freedom of actions and wealth of details and events never even touched in Nintendo platformers (the kind of games I mainly played before)

Journeyman Project 2: Buried in Time
- the first game I played with photo-realistic graphics, traveling in time through believably recreated periods of history - mind-blowing!

Wolfenstein 3D
and Doom - discovered how much fun is to be had in 3D shooting games - a different kind of action game

Lost in New York - the first Interactive Fiction game I ever played, a totally different game experience - adds a lot more freedom to traditional adventuring in a way

Exile (by SpiderWeb) - first RPG. Those bits where you go to cities, the inhabitants have their daily routines, you can talk to them, do quests etc - addictive!

Thief: The Dark Project - Now you can have it all! 3D with complex physics, action, puzzles, atmosphere, fascinating, detailed plot, real-time cutscenes, living characters, moving around all kinds of in-game objects you came upon, a world with hundreds of background stories, optional subquests, bonus artistic cutscenes and more

The Last Express - time manipulation inside a story-driven game and a very non-linear one - brilliant!

Nelly Cootalot - At last! Proof that indie freeware adventure games can be sometimes better than the commercial productions

Interestingly, some of the most artistic and emotional games I played like The Dark Eye, the Gabriel Knight series, Grim Fandango, Planescape: Torment... didn't change how I view games at all. At least I think they didn't.

Last edited by Ascovel; 05-17-2010 at 10:38 AM.