View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 01:36 AM   #93
Sketch

It is a shame that these sort of games don't get more mainstream coverage, though if Gray Matter does pop up on the Xbox, this may help change things. Debate about what specifically defines a game as an adventure is pretty moot really...all across the board, game genres are blending and merging to create odd hybrids. Some games are becoming increasingly harder to classify...titles from Beautiful Katamari to even Little Big Planet 2, which many are arguing isn't really a game anymore but rather a game construction kit are good examples.

As someone who found this site only recently and has been lurking on and off, I have to say that I had stepped away from the genre long ago, drifting into being primarily a console gamer in the throes of gaming apathy. Having a sibling who is a devout adventure gamer, I would hear (and get nagged about) various titles but never really settled down to one, unless you could the revamped version of Monkey Island released for XBLA.

However, I now write for a gaming site called GamingLives, run by my partner and co-edited by myself, and on scanning the release schedules for interesting games to contact PRs about, my eye fell on Black Mirror 2. I 'hmmed' over it, thinking it sounded both interesting and like one of the adventures that my sister had long nagged me start playing again. In a rushed decision, we got hold of a copy and I took on the task of reviewing a game in a genre that I hadn't been near for years, which was trickier that I thought...since being primarily story driven, adequately covering it without spoiling much, or indeed, the first game, was difficult, but ultimately rewarding.

I very much enjoyed it and found the visuals simply stunning. It reignited an interest in the genre and we hope to be covering more games like it on the site - it makes a healthy balance between the usual mainstream and console titles that our readers and writers are predominantly focussed on. If it draws more interest back to the genre, then it is a good thing. Similarly, regardless of thoughts on Machinarium, it got a hell of a lot of mainstream press, and positive press at that...if it also turns gamers heads towards a genre that has been somewhat forgotten, then again, a good thing methinks.

Looking forward to catching up on some of the gems that I may have missed - this site's lists have been helpful. I've already been ordered to play Lost Crown by my, now rather smug, sister and have Machinarium drifting closer to the top of my list.

Hello btw