View Single Post
Old 05-13-2010, 05:00 AM   #7
tassitassi

Hi guys! Thanks for all your feedback!
This is tassitassi from the OpenOutcast team. I'm really sorry you haven't got a response until now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo View Post
- The colours feel a bit off. The saturated greens and blues give it a bit of an Oblivion vibe. I know the original Outcast has a lot saturated colour too, but it uses a lot of muted tones as well.
We're working on getting the color schemes just right.

Quote:
- The sand noise texture seems really jittery. Maybe this depends on settings.
Not sure what's causing this, but I'll forward it to our 3D artists.

Quote:
- Dialogue should be skippable (one sentence at a time).
We've redesigned the whole dialogue system and this is one of the implemented features.

Quote:
- Camera needs work, often obscured in interiors. Maybe just go with making things transparent if they're in the way.
The camera in OASIS wasn't really meant to be used for 3rd person view, this is why it's so bad. We'll eventually add a proper 3rd person camera with collision detection.

Quote:
- Here's the big one for me: Cutter doesn't really look like Cutter. Now this is a tricky one cause it's up for debate whether you should go for his original in-game appearance the cutscene version or the early previews from the sequel ... I'm going to guess you were going more for the sequel version, but I think you could err a little more on the side of nostalgia.

Also his Ulukai shirt isn't the right orange.
Here's the latest version of Cutter. Hopefully you'll find him a lot more "Cuttery"

Quote:
- Sound is going to be huge part of making this feel like Outcast. Since you're using the name and concepts I don't see any reason not to rip the sound effects from the original: sounds like picking up objects, jumping, walking in the snow, the HUD, etc.

...speaking of which, the HUD is going to be pretty integral to capturing the Outcast feel as well. The green lines lighting up the screen with readings and dialogue options, all that needs to be there.
We won't use any of the original media. The HUD is being worked on as we speak =)

Quote:
- The animation needs work. Some of the poses feel rather stiff and gorilla-like (maybe start with loosening up the hands and fingers) and he seems really fond of crouching (like when going up stairs). Could use some more transitions as well.
He sure does. Haha. We're looking into this.

Quote:
I'm curious what you plan on doing in terms of game structure, setting, story and all that. Are you sticking to what was known of the direction Appeal was taking for the sequel, or staying closer to the original game?
We're discussing the story right now so I can't really tell you much. But we are definitely checking out the stuff that Appeal had planning.