Thread: Three Questions
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 04:51 PM   #3162
Squinky
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
I am, quite honestly, lousy with flowers. I know a few names, but I have no particular preferences. Yes, this is a serious problem at my age. Most of the women I know enjoy receiving flowers, and I have no capacity for giving them.
I like carnivorous plants and cacti, but I'm far from a typical woman and you know it.

Quote:
A nice, long conversation with a close friend of mine, I think.
Always happy to oblige.

Quote:
1) What would you say to someone you find attractive, who is trying to apply for your job?
2) What would you say to your employer about their accepting applications to replace you?
3) Which would you rather do: a) keep working at a job you've come to hate, and that is making you into a complete and utter basketcase, knowing that the money you're making still isn't really enough to solve your financial problems, but also knowing that being employed is about the only thing keeping your wife happy with you at the moment?
or b) stay home and write novels whilst collecting disability insurance (which you are fully entitled to), which you know won't give you enough to afford everything you and your wife have come to require on a monthly basis, but knowing at least that your expenses will come down when you're not buying bus passes and the occasional fast food lunch or dinner because you were too tired to prepare something at home?
1. I'd probably try and talk about indie games and other special interests of mine. Or try to be funny. Or both. Of course, the only time anything remotely like that has happened, the person in question was already happily partnered, and likely wouldn't be interested me in that way in a million years.
2. Depending on how comfortable I was with said employer, I'd either ask questions about what was going on or stew alone at my desk and quietly worry. Of course, if I'm about to be replaced, the latter is far, far more likely.
3. Option B sounds way more attractive to me (and is similar to my current situation, except I'm collecting regular employment insurance benefits instead of disability) but as you know, I've never had a spouse. The closest thing I've experienced would be the disapproval/disappointment of my parents, but they aren't directly affected and have been pretty supportive of me regardless.

---

1. Would you ever work for free for a startup company that had no money yet but plenty of potential, if you knew it would be really good for your career?
2. If you're given two job offers at once, what are the most important factors in choosing which one you go for?
3. What do you think about women who show off on musical instruments?