View Single Post
Old 05-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #90
Bon
The Tentacle

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthmaul View Post
I don't feel the medium is capable of telling a story even a fraction as good.
Sure it can, it's just that those adventures are rare.. Have you played Discworld Noir, for example?
Quote:
Besides, if I want a story, i would prefer watching or reading one to having to do menial tasks to unlock more, as in dreamfall.
There are no menial tasks in Heavy Rain, and from what I heard it's got a great story...
Quote:
Originally Posted by imisssunwell View Post
I wonder why they don't implement two modes, "classic" and normal.

Bioware managed to do it with Dragon Age. Dragon Age is a full 3D game but a small portion of the players is very attached to the oldschool isometric view, which the Infinity engine provided (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment).
It's much harder to make an adventure that features both 2D and 3D modes, than to simply make another camera view.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
In the end it did very nicely not because it was a good adventure game, but because it was a good game, period.
Since you can only compare games within their own genre, every good adventure game is also a good game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
Who has the absolute authority to arbitrate what an adventure game is supposed to be, period?
New genres are made when a game that is unlike anything else already on the market comes up. So, any game which doesn't feature features that are fundamental to the first game (in this case, puzzles and dialogues) is not of the same genre.