View Single Post
Old 05-08-2010, 10:35 AM   #594
Lupin The Third

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
That's what I got from his post as well. I'll not go into, though, as you have already eloquently spoken on my behalf.

In any case, that Gray Matter will be a multiplatform release can only be a good thing, yes? If the Xbox version sells even just some tens of thousands of copies, that should augment the number of sales it will have on the PC, thereby making even more money for the game, allowing console gamers to enjoy an adventure game and wanting more of it, and upping the possibility of a sequel and/or some more multiplatform adventure games down the line.

Furthermore, 300,000 iPads sold on its day of release, and sales continue to climb. That's a ton of potential gamers right there for adventure games (and other kinds of games, natch). With more advanced technology coming up in hardware, why should adventure game developers, whether established or independent, restrict themselves to PC releases only? To me choosing that restriction is idiotic and masochistic, if not outright suicidal, in terms of business.
Just for the heck of it I took a peek today at MI:SE on XBLA, according to the leaderboards just under 125,000 gamers have bought the game. Last time I looked at this was at the end of December when it went on sale for a day as part of MS's holiday celebration. At that time it was around 110,000. Sure 15,000 additional copies sold in the past few months isn't much....but I doubt LucasArts is scoffing at the extra $150,000 in revenue. And this extra revenue is only going to help make more remakes/re-releases possible. Especially given the relative inexpensive nature of remaking a game like MI. But if people here really think that $1.25 Million dollars from Xbox gamers alone isn't going to help the AG genre then they're seriously deluded.

Will Grey Matter sell as well? No idea...it might between both the US and Europe. But even if it only sells 50,000-70,000 on 360 alone that's only a positive thing for the developer, the genre, and even PC-only gamers. It is interesting how things like the ipad/iphone and NDS get an exemption from being considered a "console" by the crowd that then picks on us for also wanting the same games on a 360 or PS3....