View Single Post
Old 05-05-2010, 01:41 PM   #87
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray pierce View Post
No way! If I am to believe Intrepid Homulus the discussion was allready going on with the release of GK3 (honestly these people were just nagging) and if that doesn't count then it must be the release of BS3 wich was still two years before Fahrenheit was released.
The nitpicking and nagging has gone on for at least ten years. GK3 was originally released in October 1999, so if I guess correctly there were probably discussions on it before the release date and based on previews. But of course at least a year after release there were pretty much no other real time 3D adventure games released, and definitely no sea change in terms of adventure game developers switching to 3D.

There were also discussions involving The Longest Journey, which was first released in Europe (France) in 1999, then in North American in 2000. Many gamers here looked forward to a big budget traditional 2D point-&-click adventure, even so much as claiming that TLJ will be the 'savior' of the genre. It didn't save anything. Well, subsequent adventures after TLJ were done in real time 3D, like realMyst (2000) and Broken Sword 3 (2003). With those two games the 2D stalwarts began complaining again on the forums, claiming once more that the genre was 'doomed'.

And yeah, I was in the middle of it all, part of the crowd that stated that 3D should be at least one direction that the adventure genre should take. But naturally some of those complainers pegged me (and others who shared my view) as someone who wants to kill the genre by 'dumbing it down' with action sequences.

In 2005 I was approached by the editor at AdventureDevelopers.com and asked to write an editorial about the state of adventure games. The Cold Hotspot ended up being quite long, in 4 parts, lol!

Regardless, the discussion we're having here is the very same discussion that happened over a decade ago, five years ago, etc. You tell me, has there been a sea change yet that adventure games are being taken over by real time 3D or by consoles or by new distribution methods? From what I see it's actually diversification of all the above that's now happening, yet the loudmouths among us continue complaining. LOL!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien