View Single Post
Old 05-05-2010, 12:10 AM   #83
gray pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
And yet Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit are both listed on this site. Which again illustrates my point. Evidently there are enough elements in both games that merit them to be included among other adventure games on this site.

Of course, if you ran a site that only features and reviews games that are, say, 2D and point-&-click and only appear on the PC, and you insist that only those games are adventure games in the true sense, then David Cage's games won't make it to that site, yes?

Conversely a developer can make a game that has many features usually associated with the adventure game genre - 2D, point-&-click, heavily story driven, puzzles, and with tiny bits of RPG elements - and refuse to call it an adventure game. To him it would be an RPG/adventure. But a site like Adventure Gamers would still feature and review it. What then?

Would someone who considers himself a strict adventure gamer who plays only 2D point-&-click puzzle heavy games still play that game because Adventure Gamers featured it? Or would he not want to play it because the developer insists it's not really an adventure game?
All good points. I think it best to say Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain feature AG elements and obviously enough to be listed on this site. As to the final (retorical) question I think a 2D traditionalist would never play Fahrenheit or Heavy Rain whether they're listed on Adventure Gamers or not.