View Single Post
Old 05-04-2010, 04:00 PM   #77
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray pierce View Post
Ow this hurts! Sorry for saying Fahrenheit's an AG. I just thought so because in my opinion AGs are mainly focussed on the story with usually lots of puzzles. Allthough the puzzles in Fahrenheit are of a different nature than we're used to I'd still call them puzzles. Thus it's falls under my criteria for an AG. Sorry David my mistake

...Guess I won't be taking David Cage out for a drink anytime soon. Sorry there too I just kind of think that's the direction AGs should be taking. As long as there's still room for the traditional ones too.

Really sorry, foot in mouth
LOL! Why are you apologizing for contradicting someone else's opinion?

Fahrenheit is listed on the Adventure Gamer site, for one thing. Furthermore, that's the point I made earlier. You could argue that a certain game is categorically an adventure game just as someone else could also argue it is not. Again, whose definition are we working with? And on what authority is that definition based?

As for Cage's games being the direction that adventure games will take, again I say that's a rather risky proposal. Which is why I say that his games are ONE VERY GOOD DIRECTION the genre can take out of many different directions. Who has the absolute authority to arbitrate what an adventure game is supposed to be, period? Certainly not your or me, and certainly not Hannes, either. If anything, it should ultimately be a matter of what kind of game we individually want to play without imposing our opinions on the genre as a whole and demanding that developers do this or that.

Let the developers do what they want and if we don't like it we have the choice to play something else.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien