View Single Post
Old 05-04-2010, 01:35 AM   #61
Hannes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
No wonder David Cage and Ragnar Tornquist and even the Rand brothers stopped listening to this "small whiny group" while producing their new titles. In the end these creators chose to DUMP the traditional 2D point-&-click puzzle paradigm behind them, in spite of what the tiny number of 2D traditionalists demanded of them (I remember an interview where Tornquist complained in passing about this vociferous group). That in part finally allowed them the freedom to create such games that offered new experiences to us - Uru, Myst V, In Memoriam, Dreamfall, Indigo Prophecy, Heavy Rain, etc.
It's one thing to ignore the obviously deluded and fanatic groups, but the fact is that both sides do have a valid point. Ignoring one group as a whole is not only generalizing and immature, it also alienates a part of your fan base. I don't think that's what they want. Even though financial success is crucial, I'm sure respect in the industry is as important. People constantly preaching against games like Heavy Rain are as fanatic as those who think all adventures should be like that.

To people who hate David Cage for making games like Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain: Don't. He himself has said that neither of the games are adventure, nor were they ever meant to be. When I emailed him 5 years ago, he told me the marketing team is the one to blame for this mislabel. He's just making games he wants to make. If you want someone to target, start with adventure game websites and people who call either one of these games adventure.

To people who keep saying David Cage is the future of ags... Move on. It's not going to happen.

Last edited by Hannes; 05-04-2010 at 01:54 AM.