View Single Post
Old 05-03-2010, 05:33 PM   #58
imisssunwell

Online stores but mostly their ability to provide a platform for episodic gaming can boost AGs (and indie games in general).

Also locked platforms do help against piracy.

Other networks like the xbox network/psn also provide a similar structure, the only advantage the iPad has is that it makes point & click intuitive, its point & touch now. I feel that without the use of a touch screen this interface belongs to the stoneage of gaming but it seems natural enough for the ipad.

My concerns are in its limitations, it memory, processor & disk space - It has little to no support for AAA+ stuff. If it is an indie only platform, is that enough for purchasing it? It will depend on the quality of indie games. E.g. indie rpg games are generally speaking of low quality and the high-budget titles are usually far better.

If the *whole* ScummVM collection got a remake (that is all old Lucasarts games) and 2-3 titles are iPad exclusive, it would do the job for me. I love these games but I just can't get into them anymore. New graphics, sounds & an intuitive control system would do what it takes.

Ragnar announcing Dreamfall chapters coming to the iPad 1 month before the PC version would make me buy all stock but that's probably not gonna happen.

It all comes down to effectiveness/cost, will the iPad manage to attract ~15 good & new games plus 3-4 exclusives? Then it should be good value/money. Of course this is about if it's worth it as a gaming platform, gadgetwhores like me will get it anyhow.

ps: My other concern is, considering clients don't really own the game anymore, will the pricing be reasonable? If online distribution is indeed the way of the future, I want rental prices, not prices which the a retail copy of the full game would cost.