View Single Post
Old 05-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #54
Lucky Strike
SCUMMBAG

I agree with the OP. The gaming industry is very saturated and for the past few years it seems like the major game companies have done nothing but recycle their own ideas over and over again. It appears to me that recently, game developers have been trying to explore other genres and moving away from the counterproductive generic mainstream FPS titles.

I don't believe that we'll see a full revival of the classic point-and-click graphic adventure games, but it'd be plausible to expect future games to incorporate more elements from the genre. A good example would be 'Heavy Rain'. The final product of that title is an extremely polished adventure game with a few button-mashing fight sequences and a captivating plot. The sales appear to have been relatively good, specially if you take into consideration how much the average 'adventure' game sells. I wouldn't be surprised if its creators had another go at developing something similar. Hopefully it'll turn into a trend that will help traditional adventure games get back on track, though we should expect them to be slightly dumbened down and with small features that are supposed to make them attractive to younger generations and casual gamers.

Lucasarts' remakes are also worth mentioning. They're obviously trying to revive the Monkey Island series and slightly adapting them to the mainstream (an example of this would be the ability to ask for hints to solve the game's numerous puzzles).