View Single Post
Old 05-02-2010, 04:30 PM   #28
Sughly

Quote:
Originally Posted by imisssunwell View Post
Adventure games do not, even remotely, pose intellectual challenges, they're just computer games. Why do you assume that people who play them do so for the intellectual challenge and people who don't are mainly uneducated?
I have to make quick reply to this too. I don't think they are necessarily, but what they do generally do is allow a gamer to consider story and character more than they usually would (with the exception of games like Mass Effect 2, Uncharted... I'm only comparing things like Doom and Alien vs Predator). And because adventures are based on puzzle design and generally play out at a slow pace, a lot of gamers can't handle this and need more action and faster pacing. It's probably a mistake to label this as being unintelligent I agree, it's not the right way of putting it, but I think it's a choice of wanting something more involving and thought provoking in a game. It's not too dissimilar to people who prefer Hollywood blockbusters to better made indepedent films because they can't take their eyes off explosions long enough to appreciate good character and dialogue. Kind of off topic now though...

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance