View Single Post
Old 05-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #20
Jacques l'aliéné
Flatulent Philanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post

As to console gamers thinking "Action Adventure" when they hear "Adventure", that is the fault of AG makers. If they made a effort to make pure AGs for consoles, then the gamer world would get educated about them.
I disagree. In the UK, at least, many many PC and console games are described on their packaging as being 'Adventure games'. I don't see anything wrong with Adventure games retaining their traditional look and feel. In fact many 'modern' Adventure games have been made with schnazzy 3D graphics at the expense of, and to the detriment of, other more traditional Adventure game qualities and characteristics, such as strong story, puzzle quality and gameplay length. I'd go as far as to say that many Adventure games made in the last few years are mundane and boring.

Thankfully, there are also many exceptions due, mainly, to the dedication, and refusal to bend to the will of publishing companies, of some highly committed developers. In fact, some of the best Adventure games out there are freeware Adventures made purely for the love of it. Take Samorost, The White Chamber, The Apprentice games, 5 Days A Stranger, Jessica Plunkenstein, The Marionette and Out Of Order, to name but a few.

Some of the most wonderful Adventure games of the distant and very recent past have been ones with graphics that a devotee of Assassin's Creed or Command and Conquer would laugh at. God help us if the measure we use to grade an Adventure game becomes the quality of its 3D graphics. If that happens, believe me, quality story-driven, and cleverly designed puzzle-laden, Adventure games will be but a distant memory.

Last edited by Jacques l'aliéné; 05-02-2010 at 02:48 PM.