Adventure Forums - View Single Post - Gray matter: official site / hype / marketing and publishing
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 02:41 PM   #565
Lupin The Third

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaid View Post
Except anyone who owns a console most probably owns a PC that can run adventure games "the way they're meant to be played" anyway - if he isn't interested in adventure games to begin with, putting Gray Matter on the console won't magically make him want to buy it...

It might help with publicity somewhat, however.

Anyway, the screenshots are beautiful - I'm just wondering whether the backgrounds are static or animated (trees swaying in the wind, clouds moving, lights flickering etc.). I'd prefer the latter obviously, but doubt that is the case...
While it's true that most of us evil "console" gamers do have PCs fully capable of running any new adventure game why should the genre be restricted to PCs only? Your point that putting Gray Matter on a console won't magically make a console gamer want to buy it is as accurate as saying that putting it on the PC won't make a PC gamer automatically want to buy it. So that's kind of a pointless statement. But I get what you're implying....the implication is that console gamers are idiots who don't have an appreciation for AGs. But if we want to reverse the looking glass onto the PC community it's even easier to say that PC gamers are nothing but pirates who steal games and only pay for infantile crap like World of Warcraft. Halo may appeal to foul mouthed teenagers but console gamers aren't keeling over dead in their seats or running down the streets screaming about monsters because they're so mentally unhinged that they can't separate the real world from a MMO...or leaving their baby at home starving while they spend time in a lan cafe raising a virtual baby like that couple just did. See how that works?

Simplifying the reality of the situation into a "consolers are dumb" argument belies the truth of the situation. Console gaming is just as diverse as PC and AGs, which are a very niche genre now even on PC, are more likely to appear on a PC given simple economics. On a PC there are no licensing fees....on a PC there's no approval process...on PC even the smallest developer can release a game tomorrow via digital distribution. Without spending even a dollar to approve, license, or Q/A a game...and without having to acquiesce to the demands of MS, Sony, or Nintendo in order to meet their digital distro requirements. Combine that with the fact that the genre originated on PC and it's a simple combination of nostalgia and economics that guarantees that the majority of AG will be PC only and only the "larger" devs will be able to bring a title to the consoles.

If you want to berate anyone you should berate PC gamers...after all isn't this where the genre originated? Why have the overwhelming majority of PC gamers turned their backs on the genre? Taking potshots at those of us who prefer gaming on a console when we're trying to support the genre is only silly and unfounded. Especially given that over 100,000 of us bought Monkey Island on XBLA, Heavy Rain has sold a MILLION copies worldwide (name the last PC AG that did that.....), and xbox gamers and media freaked out just a few weeks ago when it was revealed that MS refused to publish Machinarium and that the game will likely never come to the service since Amanita isn't being allowed to simply self-publish the game onto XBLA! Then there's the whole NDS side of things where adventure gaming has been hugely successful.

Some of us simply prefer consoles for one reason or another. For me it's predominantly because I do the majority of my gaming at night. My wife likes to watch many of the games I play as she falls asleep, and I stay up a few hours later while continuing to play. That arrangement simply doesn't work in front of a PC. Plus I'd rather play my games on my 57" HDTV, or even my 36". Recently I picked up Broken Sword 1 & 2 for PC. But even though I have them for PC I actually played through the first game via the emulated version for Dreamcast instead. As a result, my wife who never understood what appealed to me about adventure games, said "I finally see why you play these now" after I'd completed the game. Think that would have happened with me hidden away in the office playing Broken Sword on my PC?

Keep in mind too that while many in the PC crowd love to attack console gamers it was also said for years that FPS games only worked on PC. Until a little game called Halo came along and changed things. PC gamers also claimed that RTS titles could never work on a console and many recent examples have shown that to no longer be true. Given how small the AG genre has become PC gamers should be glad for any console version that comes along. The 360 version of Gray Matter is only going to raise awareness for the genre amongst a group that may or may not have traditionally played AGs in the decades past but has clearly supportive of recent releases.

Obviously it won't match the sales of something like Mass Effect. But if you've been paying attention in the last few years games like ME, KOTOR, Bioshock, Heavy Rain, and others have shown that there is a mature segment of the console gamer market that wants more serious content. Having these gamers on board will only help to make a Gray Matter 2 or a new Gabriel Knight more likely. So please, stop lambasting the consolers. Many of us are doing far more to evangelize for the AG genre than the average PC-only player....

[On a side note I was the first to propose to Amanita on their website that they bring Machinarium to XBLA....instead of being encouraged I got flamed by the PC-only crowd on their forums. Obviously Amanita paid attention to my request, but I have to wonder if MS let the we-don't-need-a-console-version-comments sway their decision...if so well done guys! Your PC-Centric attitude just took money out of a developer's pocket!]

Sorry for the long rant. I'm just tired of coming here and being attacked because I'd rather enjoy my gaming on a console than a PC...