View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 12:56 PM   #3824
DustyShinigami
The Quiet One

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Apart from two things ruining the movie: being lied to by the manager of my cinema who told me it was subtitled and in its original Swedish language, only to find out much too late that it was dubbed, and fumbling in the dark as I was trying to put the stud/bar back into my lip piercing, which typically decided to fall out... I enjoyed the movie.

It's pretty faithful to the novel and is an entertaining murder mystery thriller. Ideal for someone who enjoys thrillers such as The Silence of the Lambs. The bloody violence is probably on par with that movie, but it does contain some graphic sexual violence. The main protagonists make an interesting and unlikely couple/detective pair. And the goth computer hacker (the girl with the dragon tattoo, of course) - Lisbeth Salander - is the most mysterious and interesting of the pair.

Apart from the violence, the running time may put some people off as it clocks in at 2 and half hours. That running time does fly by, however, as you'll most likely be following the story closely to even notice. And to me a lot of content, although some of it is understandable, and character depth is missing from the novel. As a result I felt that there were a few plot holes and unanswered questions.

Either way, this was one of the more enjoyable, mature and intelligent movies I've seen this year. And will probably be the last, too.

On a side note, I was the only young and single person who went to see the movie. The rest consisted of eight middle/older-aged couples, which I found a bit funny. I'm such an old man. I wasn't surprised that not many people in my crappy town went to see it to be honest.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour