View Single Post
Old 05-03-2004, 07:24 PM   #16
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyWare
I think you guys have just totally put me off ever buying this game... :S
LOL! Don't be a wimp. On the contrary, it's a pretty good game, precisely because it's breathlessly challenging. The pacing is excellent too, I might add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
I really liked Von Beck's Revenge.

Yeah, it took me a gajillion tries, too, but once I got the timing down, it was a lot of fun. At least the level felt fresh, rather than just more of the same old. I changed my control method for it, though. I used mouse/keyboard for the whole game, but found VBR was a lot easier with the gamepad. Or vice versa; can't remember which. One of those.

Overall, I completely agree that it was a fun romp, and very true to the spirit of Indiana Jones. My biggest gripe is the pathetic save system, which they couldn't be bothered customizing for PC. But that's moot if you're playing it on a console.
What's funny is that I completely forgot I had a Thrustmaster gamepad in my drawer, I played the entire thing with keyboard/mouse. It was still good that way. This is one of those ports where I didn't mind that much that there weren't unlimited in-game saves, though I'd still take points off for it [ at LucasArts]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialFreak
The game has cool music though. I like Von Beck's theme song.
You can download a couple of the tracks from the official site: 'Indy Action', and 'Nazi Action'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jony
I just got to Prague. Could somebody tell me when is the "hard part" of the game, so I will know in advance how much time is left for me to play the game.
Anyway so far I am dissapointed by the graphics and the framerate (sometimes very sluggish) and the camera. The fighting is good, it one of the best fighting engines. I kinda got tired of the constant jumping...but I am still doing it. Before I got to Prague, I played one of the best levels so far in the game. When I had to lock the giant crocodile and get the artifact. It was truly remarkable how I was able to trick the monster. By the way did anyone notice the similarities between Indiana Jones and Ecco the Dolphin and Ico?
Indiana Jones might not be the perfect game, but it has by far the best manual in a game I have ever seen. The manual appears like a little archiological journal, with stamps pictures and all kinds of different writing fonts.
SerialFreak is right, Von Beck's Revenge is the absolute worst part. But I really wouldn't call it 'worst', I'd describe it instead as the most 'grueling' part. But yeah, there are other areas that are pretty challenging. Thankfully there are little bits of help scattered around the levels. For example, you can pick up skulls and throw them to distract crocodiles or gauge traps. Whatever maps you find are absolutely useless because the levels are extremely linear anyway. Some boss battles are a combination of action, combat, and puzzling, and will involve trial an error (to figure out the puzzle part). Make sure to fill up your canteen at every single water source, you never know when you'll come across trouble (some water sources are hidden, keep your eyes peeled). Sharpen your multiple whipswinging skill, that's the toughest to master.

The manual is great little fun, there are correlations between it and the in-game details. For example, on page 14 there's a note along with a pain reliever prescription from Indy's doctor, who tells him to "...participate in less strenuous digs". Notice in the game that Indy occassionally flexes and adjusts his shoulder and arm, he seems to have a discomfort there. On page 10: "Good news! Marcus wants me to help locate an artifact in Ceylon [where the first few levels of the game take place], and the campus Board of Directors is more than happy to send me on a sabbatical.... Albrecht Von Beck (?) is after the idol as well This tip comes from a most unlikely source: Belloq! Though Belloq and I fiercely compete for the same artifacts, it appears the rivalry between Von Beck and Belloq is even greater!" You remember Belloq, don't you? He's the Nazi-hired French archaeologist Indy scrapes with in Raiders Of The Lost Ark.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien