View Single Post
Old 04-02-2010, 12:06 PM   #1261
Roper Klacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
I never really thought that much of the way the story was told either. But for me, the strongest point of the original Half-Life will always be the gameplay and not the story. If I'd've played this game at the time of its release then I'd probably think differently.
At that time, FPS's were all using the same storytelling technics, invented by id. A series of levels with a bunch of enemies, and the story was told by rudimentar cutscenes or more commonly with text, most of them didn't even have a narrative and plot.

Half-Life was one of the first FPS to use environmental storytelling and a non stop direct narrative. The plot was not described to you, but rather lived by you. Well you played it so you know what i'm talking about. That was so new and so bold at that time.

Then similar games started to do the same (Deus ex, System Shock 2 and more recently Valve's Portal and Left 4 Dead, Bioshock). I think its hard to acomplish this kind of technique thats why so few managed to successfully recreate that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
EDIT: On another note, when is Half-Life: Black Mesa gonna be released? I can't wait to try that out.
I've been waiting for sooo looong. I guess they plan to release it before the summer, but we never know.