View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 12:52 AM   #168
imisssunwell

Bumpage for a development which I think could potentially be useful for adventure games.

Bioware’s Old Republic MMORPG will be more story driven. Usually in MMORPGs, at the max level, people do raiding or PvP, at least in the mmo’s I’ve played. They are both great fun, but after 6 years I find any addition welcome.

From various statements by Bioware people, it seems to me that the endgame in the Old Republic, will not be gear focused but rather story focused. This, of course, does not exclude raiding/pvp options but rather adds a new dimension in MMOs, which so far have given little incentive to keep questing at max level.

How is this related to adventure games? I believe it is, if Bioware manages to create a story driven MMORPG, certain milestones for successful MMO adventure games will have been achieved.

Blizzard already has used the so called phasing of areas in wotlk, more advanced features of this to be used in Cataclysm, and I find this technology very fit for MMO adventures but I expect Bioware to go a couple of steps further. I am very keen to see what technologies are being developed for group questing/solo questing, and what incentives will be given to keep on questing.

In my opinion, if Bioware comes up with a great story driven leveling & endgame, this is big news, especially considering the impact this could have on adventure games. I’d really love to see e.g. a persistent Melee Island world, it could signal the revival of the adventure genre.

discuss