View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 01:57 PM   #38
AprilLives

It’s weird how Heavy Rain seemed like a fantastic adventure game the first time I played it and now (after playing again) it does not.

The first time around, I knew nothing about what was going to happen or what to expect as each mysterious event unfolded. The characters are interestingly flawed, giving some the best performances I’ve seen. The music is fitting and the scenes so realistic I was completely immersed in the areas I explored. The story is original, detailed and complete. I loved the moral choices. These in a way are the puzzles.

But now that I’ve played it again and recognize that it still IS a fantastic game that I’ll keep on my favorite list, it no longer appeals as adventure. While I marvel at the technology and appreciate the art and plot, (which has a few forgivable holes), it really is an interactive movie that provides little opportunity to contemplate, explore and solve.

Rather, it requires quick thinking and timed action over and over again. I expect and actually enjoy some stress and feeling threatened in adventure but in this game none of the characters succeed without timed combat. To me, that’s just stressful and NOT adventure.

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)