View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 07:51 PM   #24
orient

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejobloshow View Post
When I think of what makes an adventure game...

I think of having stopped playing Sam and Max Hit the Road for about a month because I had absolutely no idea that you could find...

I think of spending a year just to figure out how to get all 1,000 points in Leisure Suit Larry: Love for Sail...

I think of clicking every inventory object I owned on every possible prop in Discworld II because I had no idea how the logic worked in that game...

And I think of sneaking a peek on a cheats and walkthrough CD or calling a game helpline whenever I was stuck in Larry 6 or The Dig because some of the puzzles proved too confusing for my prepubescent mind...
So you mostly think of being stuck due to obscure puzzle design, basically. If Heavy Rain had segments that almost required a walk-through, pixel-hunting and ridiculous inventory-based puzzles, it would have been universally panned. It's not an adventure game because it needed to be something more than that -- something more modern and streamlined; innovative -- or people wouldn't care about it, like they don't care about 90% of the adventure games released today.

I believe traditional adventure games have a place in today's market, but only if they stop trying to emulate classic LucasArts/Sierra adventures and shed some of the baggage associated with the genre, like really tough or illogical puzzles, pixel-hunting for hotspots, filling your inventory full of crap etc. Also, pre-rendered backgrounds and 1st person slide-show games. Telltale seem to be on the right track with the upcoming Sam & Max season.