View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 02:56 PM   #3805
Zack

Quote:
Originally Posted by geggis View Post
I'm not getting into the purposes of film, but The Hurt Locker was too preposterous to be given the realistic treatment. I went in expecting some insight into the life of a bomb disposal squad in Iraq and instead came out chewing on some pumped up, macho, fantasy BS. You could say that's my fault for not viewing it on its own merits but even as a Hollywood flick, William James was such an arsehole that wanting a bomb to blow up in his cowboy face somewhat undermined the tension.
Geggis, you have to understand that the director of The Hurt Locker, Kathryn Bigelow never intended to make a war film about soldiers in Iraq. Instead, she made a thriller with occasional bits of action, and I think that's why critics loved it.

I have to admit that Jeremy Renner's character William James was a jerk at first, but I eventually grew to admire how reckless he was as the movie went on. What I liked most about The Hurt Locker, was that how incredibly suspenseful it was to see Will defuse Bombs while putting himself in danger at the same time. The two men who played his partners did a great job too.

I can tell you were mislead by the trailers, and I'm sorry about that. But, I think you should give the movie another chance, and see why I found it so exciting. I think it did deserve the Best Picture Award.