View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 04:04 AM   #7
UPtimist
Life and times of...

Having not played it - I don't own a PS3 - I can agree with you that it is not an adventure game, at least in the sense we understand it. It is an interactive movie. But if one has to include interactive movie in one of the categories there are right now, of course it's adventure games. And that's why it's so understandable that people are talking about it as an adventure game.

However, I don't think it's such a problem to compare it to the adventure genre. I haven't actually been reading the articles, mind you (just one). However, since it focuses so heavily on one of the most prominent features of adventure games - story (and what's linked to it, like characters), I don't think it's bad that people are looking at it and saying that's where we should be heading.

Of course, that's only about the story, but I feel that that is mainly the point. I doubt that many are thinking like "ooh, reaction tests, now that's what I'm talking about". Of course, the opposite is very possible, but still I doubt that the thought then is that the game has failed the adventure genre. I doubt game designers are going to stop making more traditional AGs and just move to reaction tests. As was said above. Some will try to imitate, but this probably requires too much from the developers (as it requires such a strong story or else it's just a game without anything to really do).

the ideal is of course that people implement ideas and use the innovatively with other elements.

I have no idea what Dragon's Lair or such are, so can' comment there