View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 03:25 AM   #6
Sik

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejobloshow View Post
My opposition are probably tired of debating it... but I thought David Cage's reaction to the accusation I'm making was pretty hilarious: “No! We don’t make Dragon’s Lair! This is not Dragon’s Lair – do you think I’m crazy? I’m not stupid. Do you think I develop on PlayStation 3 to do Dragon’s Lair again? It would be absurd. Of course it’s not.”

lol - too strong of a reaction. I'm glad this game was better received than Final Fantasy XIII though... the Heavy Rain board on IMDB is very active.
Well, the original Dragon's Lair was inspired by Zork and Colossal Cave Adventure. It would probably have been more like those games, just with pretty still screens and animations, if they had managed to sell the original concept, but it was rewritten into an action game. Probably a wise move, as I doubt a slow paced adventure game on an arcade machine would have been a hit, at least with investors. After all, players dying often so they'll spend more money is pretty much a requirement.

I'd say Heavy Rain is pretty close to what they wanted to accomplish with Dragon's Lair, but couldn't because of limitations in technology and the arcade game as a medium. I don't see how that's a bad thing. Heavy Rain is probably as close as we've gotten to perfection of the interactive movie. As to whether or not it's an adventure game as well or not, I don't think it matters. It appeals to fans of a lot of different genres, like all good games should. Just a pity it's limited to one platform.

I also don't think there's any reason to worry that games like Heavy Rain are going to replace, or kill traditional adventure games. Indigo Prophecy sold a lot more than adventure games released at the same time, but I don't think anyone has copied it. It's just not a concept that is easy to copy without making another Dragon's Lair.